7.07.2012

World traveller?

http://www.emersonkent.com/images/world_map_1910.jpg

I've never been outside the U.S., sad as it may be. I've been all over INSIDE (approximately 32 states, both coasts, north and south), but never even made it to Canada. Recently I decided that this needs to change. I need to get out and go do things while I can! So, I think after I graduate next spring, I'm going to take off on a plane for somewhere that is not North America.
Current list of top places in no particular order:
  1. Ireland
  2. Nigeria
  3. India
  4. New Zeland
  5. Japan
  6. Paris
  7. London
  8. Italy
  9. China
  10. Amsterdam
  11. Sweden
I have some limitations, however.
  • I don't speak any language with any sort of proficiency outside of English
  • I'd like to KNOW someone where I'm going, as then I will have someone to call if I'm in trouble, and they'll know the area instead of me just going and getting stuck in tourist traps, etc.
  • Going alone may sound fun, but I hear it's more dangerous and probably less fun than having someone to share it with
  • I don't have a fantastic amount of money to spend, but I think I'm willing to pay about $2000. 
So. Where should I go? London seems nice, as it takes away the language barrier, is a relatively cheap plane ticket, especially if bought in advance and I'm guessing it would be easier to find a travelling companion to London than other places. I don't know anyone there, however.

Nigeria would be great, as I know some wonderful people there, but Jos is kind of in an uproar so I'm not sure if it's the best choice right now.

I think we have more missionary friends in China/Hong Kong, so that would be fun. The ticket price is a little prohibitive though.

There is always the option of North American travel, however.
In relative order:
  1. New York
  2. San Francisco
  3. Prince Edward Island
  4. Toronto
  5. Washington DC
  6. Boston
  7. Seattle
  8. Portland
  9. Asheville
 Cheaper, even easier to get someone to go with me, probably more likely that I'd know someone wherever I go, language not a problem...

But the point is that I'm stretching myself and getting OUT there and doing things I wouldn't normally do. 

So I guess what I'm saying is if any of you want to go somewhere with me next May, let me know. 

1 comment:

Tee said...

You need to join the Peace Corp or some such thing.
Otherwise, get a friend, preferably one who speaks French or German, to backpack thru Europe with. Honestly, it's irresponsible to travel all the way across The Pond and only see 1 country!!!!!
You're right: do these things now!!!