3.15.2012

Summer

Since this weather is so incredibly nice, I thought I'd post about my summer plans!

This summer I have been presented with three incredible opportunities.
1. Work in a garden
2. House sit all summer in a house with 5 cats, rent free except for cat maintenance
3. Work in a library

I know what you're thinking: Those are Ellen's three favorite things: Gardens, cats, libraries! Add in Sharpies, bluegrass music, and a healthy dose of bread making and you've got yourself my perfect life.

The garden I have the privileged to work in is the Cornell Community SIFE garden. SIFE stands for Students in Free Enterprise, and is a national club where students start businesses and go to competitions with them and do all sorts of interesting and wonderful things. This garden project is three years old, and this is the second year in this particular location. My good friend Henry was the gardener last year, but he is going off to do bigger and better things (an internship in a museum, I think), and so I am taking over! The garden is about 8500 square feet, so it's going to be quite an undertaking. I ordered all my seeds, and realised that I am tentatively planning on growing about 45 different items. Wow! For more updates on this, please see my Garden Blog.

As for the house, a professor on campus has had me cat-sit for him several times over the past year, and this fall he asked if I would be interested in living in his house and taking care of them full time this summer. This was right about the time that I was starting to consider the garden plan, so it was incredibly serendipitous! There are five cats: Mahogany and Ruth are both blind, Claire and Cubby are both missing one leg, and Polly has nothing wrong outside of a poor thyroid. They are quite the bunch, let me tell you!

I wrote a few days ago about my new job at the library. I'm given to believe that I will still have a job come summer, but that it will be different. My supervisor mentioned quite a few possibilities, or perhaps all of the available possibilities being rolled into one, so it will be very exciting!

I would LOVE for any and all of you to come visit. Come for a day, come for three days, come for a week, I don't care. We'll have fun, make a lot of good food, do some gardening, and play with some kitties. If cats aren't your cup of tea, I also know a good many dogs in town, so I can hook you up!

No comments: