7.16.2012

The Joys of Shopping for One


The local supermarket. I haven't met Gary yet.

I've done a lot of grocery shopping in my life, let me tell you. When I'm at home, it's a weekly ritual Mom and I go through, and it's great. But until this summer, it was always a rather passive thing. Mom made the list, Mom knew the deals, Mom chose the shops. Now, though, I shop to feed myself, not to buy into the familial pool of food as I have my whole life, which is very strange and sort of liberating. Not that Mom hasn't bought excellent food, but now I get exactly what I want in the quantities I'll eat it in. I know that sound incredibly normal, but right now it's still a novel idea.


For instance, the first week I bought chunky peanut butter. We've NEVER had chunky peanut butter at our house, ever, but I've discovered that I LOVE chunky peanut butter. So much so that I actually eat it with a spoon right out of the jar. I think for about three days mostly what I ate was open faced PBJ sandwiches with jelly from the Amish. A winning combination, my friends.

I also bought Tang. I am a huge fan of water and milk, but sometimes I'd like something with a different flavor. At school I drink juice or lemonade, but I don't have juice machines here that provide me with infinite juice (unfortunately), so I comprimised with Tang. So good, and I get to put as much in as I want.

My other shopping thing I do is I buy one luxury item a week. One week it was ginger snaps. Another it was chocolate milk. This week it was Fresca. I bought grape juice one time but I liked it so much that it's now a staple. I swear I could drink a jug of grape juice every two days, easy. I refrain from that particular excess, however ;).

I guess the whole point of this post is that 1. It is weird to buy straight up groceries for myself and 2. Little indulgences are nice.

No comments: