3.13.2012

Long time catch-up!

Hello everyone.
I've been gone for a while, mostly because my life has been pretty boring.
Or has it.
I think I am predisposed to think my life blog-worthy boring, but that might just be that the beauty is not in the eye of this particular beholder. So, here is a life catch-up, bullet-point style (my favorite).
  • Right now I am in a class called Children's Literature. Last block I was in Methods of Teaching Elementary Language Arts, so this is basically just a continuation of that. 
  • I have a practicum component to both of these classes. Practicum means that it's kind of half-way between student teaching and just observing. I only teach every once in a while, I do a lot of grading/paperwork for the teacher, and I'm mostly there to just absorb knowledge and classroom atmosphere! For these two blocks I have a 5th grade class in Iowa City. They are wonderful, though VERY different from the 1st grade one I had last semester. I am learning a lot from them:). Unfortunately it has not helped me make up my mind about which grade I want to teach in the long run. Both ends of the spectrum are so much fun, but for wildly different reasons. I guess we'll just let God handle this one!
  • I got a job! About a week ago the librarian who did my library internship with me emailed and asked if I'd be interested in a reference desk job a few nights a week. Of course I said yes! When all the details were hammered out and the dust settled, I became (as of... A hour and a half ago!) a Reference Peer Consultant. That means that I am on the reference desk from 7-9, Monday-Thursday, for the rest of the school year. So far it's been very fun, and the librarians have been great at training me and answering all my questions. 
  • The garden is slowly getting started! As some of you might know, I am spending the summer here at Cornell, tending the community garden. This topic will have its own post in the future. Suffice to say for now, my back hurts, my hands are getting callouses (more slowly than I would like), and things are moving! It's been super unseasonably warm out (I think it was 70 degrees today), so I've been doing a little pre-planting work.
  • I got a new roommate! Sarah took a leave of absence, so I found myself with an extra bed. Thankfully my friend Amanda was willing to move in! We've had a really great time talking late at night and getting up early in the morning.
I think that's all for now. I'll try to keep it up :)

No comments: